Someday, Ayla might want to know the story of her birth...so for posterity sake-- here is how our sweet girl came into the world!
My Mom decided to fly in the day before Ayla's due date since it was summer break for her and she didn't have to teach school and Jada had a baseball game the next day (and no one has seen what a good little player she is). We had a nice time the next few days....while waiting and waiting...patiently. We would walk our 3 miles everyday- keep busy shopping, cleaning, and playing...still no baby. I had a Dr appt. Monday (40w3d)- at this appt, I had dilated another .5 cm, and he stripped my membranes. We had already had an induction schedule for the next morning at 8:00. This was the first time I had had my membranes stripped- so didn't know what to expect. After that we decided to go to the Niagara Outlet mall to get the kids school shoes, walk around, and go out to eat with Grandma. Contractions had started after my appt from the stripping- but nothing that "got my hopes up." They were about 10-15 min apart and not very strong. We got the kids ready for bed, showered, and down for the night. Mom made me go to bed to get some rest before the next morning...but that didn't happen. The contractions were just strong enough and close enough that I couldn't fall asleep. I ended up giving up trying to sleep about 1:00am. I came down to watch TV and try to sleep on the couch. At 2:45 I got up to go to the bathroom and my water broke. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, as it wasn't a complete gush, but there was no question it was my water. Not knowing how quick this baby could come (based on Taya's delivery), we decided it best be safe is we headed in to the hospital. Strange thing was that my contractions nearly stopped and got less painful at this point, but knowing I was supposed to be induced in a few hours and past my due date- they would keep me.
At about 5:00am they hooked me up to everything and we sat, and sat....and sat. Contractions still happening- but no progress. When they checked me- she said I had 2 membranes of water...and that the forewater had broken, but the other one was keeping her from coming down and pressing against the cervix. I was barely a 4 at this point. They still wanted to see if I would progress (go into real labor) on my own. It was shift change/dr change by this point-- which equals double the exams, nurses, doctors-- but not efficiency. It was 11:30 when I got super impatient and asked where the pitocin was. They finally got the ball rolling and hooked me up at Noon. About 2 hard pitocin contractions later-- my {other} water broke. TJ had texted one of his anesthesiologist friends to do my epidural if I wanted one. She came down to meet me and shoot the bull with Drew- but said she had a scheduled surgery at 3:30 so I either needed to get it before then (giving her an hour to get down) or wait till after. I hemmed and hawed about even getting it- but had told myself I probably would if I was induced b/c pitocin contractions are so much different than natural contractions and Drew is in school for them and would enjoy the entertainment and educational opportunity :).
At about 2:30 we went ahead and called up to have her come give it- since I was a 5-6 and previous experience shows I will have the baby within 45 min of 6 mm. She came down, gave the epidural- and they had me lay down to have to help to effect at 3:00. Drew said to be patient as it can take 15-20 min to take full effect. Well-- it still wasn't taking complete effect- then the pressure started. The undeniable "the baby is right there" pressure. So I had Drew call the nurse and she came in to find little Ayla's head right there. She turned away to call in back-up/a Doctor, when her head came out. The doctor walked in to see this- give the okay to the nurse to take the cord around her neck off (wasn't tight), when the rest of her slid out on the bed. Silly thing didn't let me do any work! I was laying flat on my back! It was super quick and surreal. The epidrual never had time to take full-effect, but did take a little of the edge off...so that was nice. I am blessed to not tear when I have babies...so recovery is a sinch!
She was born at 3:33pm weighing 7lbs 3.1oz and was 19.5 inches long. I had to stay at the hospital the whole next day and was able to go home Thursday morning. WAY longer than I prefer to stay after babies- but Mom was home with the kids so I didn't have anything to worry about with the kids.
She is a sweetheart and we love her sooo much! Welcome to this crazy family baby Ayla!!

No comments:
Post a Comment